Monday, March 14, 2011

Boston Trip Part 2: The First Step's a Doozy

On Thursday, I left for the Boston trip. Because of how things fell into place with regards to my job search, I wound up stopping over for a few hours in the DC area to interview with a transportation consulting firm. They do work with new developments and master plans for existing public complexes like universities and commercial developments. The interview went well, but getting to DC was a pain between the rain and the traffic. Congestion was quite bad - I passed a Nissan coupe that had flipped and was lying on its roof - but the people at the office were very understanding of traffic-related delays.

However, after the later parts of the interview (they had me visit two of their offices to meet more people), I still had several hundred miles to go before I could sleep for the night. Specifically, I had to make it the 47 miles to Elaine's family's house to pick up their wedding presents. As it turned out, that was the hard part. Over the course of the 27 miles I was on the Beltway, I averaged only 18 mph. It was unfortunate.

However, it gave me some time to talk more about my experiences in this, the first installment of my Tales from the Road.

Is it obvious that I've watched far too much Top Gear to want to put cameras in my car?

After dark, I continued to Philadelphia, with some detours due to high water near Elaine's house, continued slow traffic because of the rain, and a hair-raising trip across the Key Bridge in Baltimore due to the strong crosswinds (about 38 mph at the time I crossed).


"FSKM2" stands for "Francis Scott Key Bridge Marker #2", so that speed doesn't even account for the fact that the road is 190' in the air.


 It was a VERY exciting trip, but not terribly photogenic. This is a picture from flat, flat Delaware just after I was very surprised to find myself passing an enormous container ship about 400 yards to the right of my car.




Eventually, I reached the home of my cousin Vic, much later than I'd originally planned. After a brief bit of relaxation, I headed to bed in advance for the 6 hour trip across New England... coming up in Part 3: The Journey to the Land of Sports Teams for which I Do Not Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment